Trains and Railways in Metro Vancouver
Route maps and booking information for the national rail service, regional trains and the urban train network: to help you find your way around Vancouver...
ViaRail is the biggest rail operator in Canada providing rail passenger services. Schedules on some routes can range from a few trains a day to some destinations, to one or two trains a week to others.
- For trip planning information, including schedules for all of Canada, fares, and travel advice: Click here
- For general information and booking:
Tel: 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245), toll-free in Canada
TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired)
From Vancouver, the main route is The Canadian, running to Toronto. This is a four-day journey, with departures three times a week.
Destinations in northern British Columbia are served by the Jasper-Prince Rupert line, requiring a train from Vancouver to Jasper, Alberta. The Jasper-Prince Rupert route takes two days, with trains leaving three times a week. Both routes have a choice of sleeper touring class or touring class
- For information on the classes aboard: Click here
- For full details of rail routes provided by ViaRail in Canada: Click here
- For information about VIA Rail services and destinations from Vancouver station: Click here
There are special fares available for children, youth, seniors, students, and for tickets purchased in advance.
- For information on fares: Click here
- For information on special sales offered for a limited time: Click here
Passengers are allowed two carry-on bags, and three checked bags.
- For weight and size guidelines: Click here
Meals are available on the trains, with service varying from take-out counters to full-service dining cars, depending on the length of the journey.
Vancouver Train Station
Vancouver has one station for passengers, called Pacific Central Station. It is located downtown, across from city bus stops and the Main Street/Science World skyTrain station.
- VIA Rail Station
At: 1150 Station St., on the corner of Main St. and Terminal Ave.
Open: Monday to Sunday from 05:00-01:00
- Arrivals and departures Tel: 888 842 7245
- Information and reservations Tel: 888 842 7245
- Ticket Counter (hours for Amtrak and Greyhound bus may vary): Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday from 06:00-17:45; Tuesday, Friday, Sunday 06:00-20:30
- Baggage storage: Monday, Wednesday, Saturday 08:00-13:00; Tuesday, Friday, Sunday 12:00-20:00
The station is also part of the American rail route Amtrak. Long-distance buses are also used as part of the Amtrak line. Pacific Central Station has ticket offices for Amtrak. Border regulations require that passengers provide proof of their date of birth and citizenship when booking tickets.
Services at the station include:
- Coffee, souvenir, and snack shops
- WiFi Internet
- Ticket sales (Amtrak, VIARail, and Greyhound bus)
- Baggage storage
The station, ticket office and washrooms are wheelchair accessible. For information on travelling with a disability or other special needs (for example, children travelling alone): Click here
Passengers with Special Needs/Children
VIA Rail offers priority boarding, special meals, accommodation for wheelchairs and electric scooters, and under certain circumstances, free travel for a necessary companion for a person with disabilities. Guide dogs also travel free, and assistance for hearing- or visually-impaired travellers is also available. These services vary, depending on the route and the station, and some require advance notice or booking.
- For information for passengers with special needs: Click here
- See also Access to Travel, an accessible travel information source
Children twelve years of age and older may travel on their own on VIA Rail. Under certain conditions, children younger than twelve years of age may also travel on their own. Tickets for unaccompanied children must be purchased at a ticket counter or by telephone.
- For further information on travel for unaccompanied children: Click here
Travelling with Animals
Guide dogs are the only animals permitted in the passenger cars. Dogs, cats, and other small mammals are allowed only in the baggage car. Tickets must be purchased 24 hours in advance when travelling with pets.
- For information on cage sizes, care of the animals while travelling, and more: Click here
Bus Services from Pacific Central Station
Greyhound Canada is the national passenger bus service and uses the VIA Rail station as one if its terminals. It has a ticket office in the station. It also has routes into the USA.
- For information and contact details: Click here
Pacific Coach, a company that runs deluxe coaches between Vancouver and Victoria (via BC Ferries) as well as to Whistler, uses Pacific Central Station as one of its drop-off and pick-up locations.
Quick Shuttle is an express bus service running between Seattle and Vancouver, with stops at Vancouver airport, Seatac Airport (Seattle), downtown Seattle, Tulalip, Bellingham airport, downtown Vancouver and cruise ship terminals. It stops at most major hotels.